Paul Hargreaves: Lockdown 2.0
So here we are again. Does anyone else have a strong sense of déjà vu? Most of us were expecting this and many of us think lockdown should have been introduced weeks ago when the scientists were advising it. Some big differences to last time though.
- Those that organised their retailer operations to include home deliveries and click and collect should be able to over the next three days slip back quickly into this mode of working and expand their retail space into their café and restaurant areas.
- It’s Christmas, the busiest time of year and many retailers have their Christmas stock on the shelves. With many other retailers forced to shut I expect food retailers to be busier than ever with people buying food gifts for their friends and relatives. Important to ensure that our social distancing policies are enforced so shoppers feel safe.
- This time garden centres can stay open, which is excellent news for the speciality food sector. These represent an important part of the whole, especially at Christmas.
- The weather will be very different to Lockdown 1.0 – then people didn’t mind queuing outside. This time they will with temperatures on Thursday dropping down to less than 5 degrees. This could play into the hands of independents.
- Construction can continue. More new shops are opening than I can remember and the building can keep calm and carry on.
Finally, make sure you look after yourself. Don’t let the stress get to you. Keep exercising, take time out with your family and most important of all, keep smiling!