On the basis that most retailers should be far too busy to read any digital content this week, and several suppliers are shutting or winding down, I will keep this week’s piece extremely brief. Learning lessons from Christmas past:
- Take it easy – for some of you this is one of the few times a year when your business is closed. Turn off your laptop and don’t be tempted to just see what’s happening.
- Spend time with your family – they probably do not see enough of you for the rest of the year.
- Have a “phones off” policy, certainly for mealtimes, but see if you can survive as a family for a whole day during the break, and be “present” to each other. Tell your teenagers (if you have them) it is possible to do this without ending up in hospital.
- Enjoy your food – and take time to eat some fantastic British products you don’t normally buy.
- Around New Year, think about the past year and what you need to change for 2018 to have a better work-life balance.
Enjoy your break and talk to you again in 2018.